RTE 6 April 2019 05:00:30 A woman has told how her 13-year-old son lost control of his car on the M5 on Easter Monday.
The accident took place on the southbound carriageway at the junction with the A77 in Cork.
The driver, aged between 13 and 15, was pronounced dead at the scene.
A garda spokesman said a preliminary investigation found that the accident happened on the carriaghway.
Gardaí have also opened a preliminary inquiry into the circumstances surrounding the accident.
“At this stage we are not aware of any suspicious circumstances at this time,” he said.
A spokesman for the Roads Agency said it had been in contact with gardaí and was in the process of liaising with them.
“The Agency is currently liaising closely with the Garda and Roads Agency to understand what further action is required to ensure the safety of road users on the road and road traffic,” he added.
The collision happened at about 4:15am.
A Garda spokesman told the Irish Independent that the investigation is continuing and that “the investigation will be ongoing”.
The driver’s family is in contact on social media, including Facebook and Twitter, with messages of support and sympathy.
Mr Gough said the family is grateful for the support and messages of understanding that he said had come through.
“We are not expecting anything in the short term but we will certainly be looking into it,” he told RTE.
“It’s a horrible loss.
I want to think that his parents are not disappointed. “
I’m really sad that we are losing a boy that was a good kid.
I want to think that his parents are not disappointed.
The Garda said the driver’s car had been “rear ended” at the time of the collision and was on its side. “
His family are very upset but they understand that there are things that are going to come out that we can’t get into the public domain at this point.”
The Garda said the driver’s car had been “rear ended” at the time of the collision and was on its side.
The Gardai have been informed of the investigation and that a post mortem will be carried out on the driver.
An incident report has been received. “
A Garda is on site investigating the circumstances leading up to the collision.”
An incident report has been received.
The death of a child in a fatal collision on the A47 in County Cork last October was one of the most serious ever recorded in Ireland.
A similar accident occurred on the B3 in the north west of the country in April 2016, which resulted in the death of one person.
The Dail has since been investigating the deaths of at least six children in the past two years.
In December, two teenagers died after a car collided with a building at the border with Northern Ireland, with no-one inside the vehicle.
In May, the death was blamed on a faulty tyre.